Saturday, October 10, 2020

Thoughts on the Trans phenomenon

I  do not pretend to scientific understanding of  the many ways in which body and soul/mind  can be in harmony, or not. 

I get that biological sex does not have to overlap completely with gender, and there are many variations.

My personal working hypothesis is that a soul may be on its first stint of being one sex after a number of incarnations as 

the other. Of course this is not a scientific statement and I cannot prove it.

Meanwhile, if a small number of people say they feel one way while their external body says something else, I will gladly 

take their word for it.  No problem there.


As for the whole Nature/Nurture thing, I have never understood why that is presented as a conflict. 

Of course it is both, in different degrees for individuals depending on other factors.

Some aspects of identity are a social construct, but others are pretty hardwired. Stereotypes exist because they contain a kernel of truth. 


Individual qualities vary and groups will overlap, but that does not invalidate some broad truths. Sure, a strong woman can beat a weak man. Even so, taken as a group men are stronger.  Imagine for a moment.


Picture a world where all education and choice of profession is 100% gender neutral and childcare is shared equally.

Do  we really think  firefighters and kindergarten teachers would both be 50% male/female? 

Is it not more likely that say, 80% of firefighters would still be men, and  80% of child carers women? 

We may never know, but what would be so bad about that?


Anyway, on to the Trans issue. I am, quite frankly, baffled by the contradictory demands of this whole gender movement.


On the one hand, we are supposed to recognise an endlessly growing number of gender expressions. 

No problem. I am all for letting a thousand flowers bloom.

We will try even though  a plural pronoun with a singular verb  grates on my nerves.

I am grammatically sensitive. It hurts! Plus for just a second I keep looking for the other person. But, never mind that, we’ll be a good sport. 


It is true that some other cultures have done a better job  dealing with people who do not fit the male/female binary. 

However, calling the basic concept of male and female a “colonial construct” strikes me as silly. 

We are a sexually dimorphic species after all. Isn’t some form of labour division fairly universal?


On the other hand, anyone who does not chant the mantra that “trans women are women” is considered a trans phobe and a hater. How does that work? Is that insistence not enforcing the very binary that the gender diversity movement is railing against? I find that confusing.


I have said this before: I wish we could adapt vocabulary and attitudes instead of bodies.

Hormones and surgery are an insult to the body at any age and come with serious side effects.

I picture a six foot tall human being with big hands and feet, a visible Adam’s apple, a deep voice, wearing makeup and a gorgeous dress and introducing self as: “Hi, I am Joan. I am a BomaSofe."

Everyone would acknowledge Joan as Body Male, Soul Female, and treat her as a woman 90% of the time. To be varied as needed. 


In most circumstances Joan can just be one of the girls. But there are some situations where Joan has to acknowledge that no, she is not quite a biological woman. She should not compete in sports with athletes whose muscles have not benefitted from years of testosterone. She should recognise that her penis may trigger anxiety in a rape crisis shelter. The shelter  caters  to vulnerable women who have been traumatised by male sexual violence. Is insisting on a penis-free zone really the 

same as hating trans people? 


I was appalled by the baying mobs outside the Toronto library protesting a scheduled speech by  feminist Meghan Murphy. Murphy was accused of hate speech and of wanting to deny trans people the right to exist. She says nothing of the sort. She mainly wants some spaces reserved for regular biological women. I fail to see why that is hateful. 

Somehow the mob has no problem with this image. A fist with a blood stain and the words I punch TERFS.

That stands for Trans Exclusionary Radical Feminist. It is used as a slur. Now that is hate. 


Then we have J.K. Rowling, accused of the heinous crime of being a trans phobe and 

inciting hate. 

Funny. Somehow the many statements by Rowling that she wishes trans individuals well,  “Live your best life” and so on don’t seem to count. She does not like the bullying ways of the activist crowd and she thinks that a trans woman is not quite the same as one born female. I agree. It seems to be common sense. If that is as bad as hate or fear go wouldn’t this be a great world? 


“Trans rights are human rights!” shout the activists.

Well, of  course. Did anyone, even actual TERFs, deny the humanity of Trans people? 

However, one can be recognised as fully human without being 100% male or female.

Is that not behind the push to recognise  umpty  genders?


The following happened..

Human being, with full human rights, transitions from female to male but does not

have bottom surgery. This human is now a gay man with a loving partner. So far so good.

Like many gay couples they would like a family. Those female bits came in  handy after all.

Trans partner  goes off hormones, loses beard, gets  pregnant, gives birth. 

This is possible because underneath it all this Human being was still a woman. Human with full rights etc.goes back on hormones, regrows beard, becomes gay guy again.


No problem! Three cheers, welcome to the world little baby.

But now I am told “Some men can have babies”. That is when  I call BOLLOCKS.

If that makes me a TERF so be it.

















1 comment:

Michelle said...

Very thought-provoking and you make valid points. I personally agree 100% with the soul vs body thing and I also believe in reincarnation. To me, that makes complete sense. :) I'm glad you tagged me. I hadn't realised how much we have in common.

I am in full support of everyone being their true selves, but obviously not to the point of ridiculous. Common sense is actually not that common!

Humans always seem to go to extremes. It's frustrating (as in pull your hair out and beat your head against a wall) that we never seem to learn that moderation is needed in everything.

I feel exactly the same as this on the topic of veganism, which is another idea that has blown up out of proportion. I've been quite ferociously attacked at times, for standing up for animal farmers and the fact I do eat meat and dairy.

Lately I'm not arguing back. If I think I am talking to a an open, stable person (as with you) I'll chat. Otherwise it's just too much effort for no purpose!